Exciting things are happening in California’s choral music scene! We are experiencing an enormous surge in the popularity of choral singing in our classrooms, communities, concert halls, and churches throughout our beautiful state. I count it a great pleasure to serve all of you as Vice President of the California Choral Director’s Association! Don’t miss out on the myriad opportunities to connect with our diverse community of conductors and educators, sing in our fantastic honor choirs, and participate in invaluable professional development opportunities. California is leading the way!
Istad’s Current Musical Reading List
(Email me for recommendations on fiction!)
- Gardiner, John Elliot. Bach: Music and the Castle of Heaven. Knopf Publishers: 2013.
- Stutz, Phil & Barry Michaels. The Tools: 5 Tools to Help You Find Courage, Creativity, and Willpower-and Inspire you to Live Life in Forward Motion. Spiegle & Grau: 2013.
- Zander, Rosamund Stone and Benjamin Zander. The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life. Penguin Books: 2002. (Recommendation from Jeffrey Benson.)
- Mellers, Wilfrid. Bach and the Dance of God. Travis & Emery: 2009. (Recommendation from Ron Kean.)
- Musgrave, Michael and Bernard Sherman, eds. Performing Brahms: Early Evidence of Performance Style. Cambridge University Press: 2003.